Thursday, June 6, 2019

                                           Is She Becoming More Like Her Mother?

Sometimes in stress she has said that I remind her of my father. My rejoinder has been “I wish you would be more like your mother.” I wonder if my wish has been becoming more true in recent years. I have noticed that she may at times express kindness and respect in unexpected ways, like bringing my supper when I am watching TV in the living room, or perhaps ice cream at my desk with the computer. She also has been more tolerant when we disagree on something, like this morning she going to work with Conrad when I wanted to stay at home, conserving my strength and preparing for a study group this evening.

There are also many other times she shows some affection, totally unmotivated by anything I did, just like her mother used to be affectionate without my deserving or earning it at all. She is so consistent in preparing dinner and seeing my needs are met, and like making sure I am dressed  properly for church, just like they say her mother used to make sure her father is all primed for church. Sometimes in the morning when I get up before she does, she will come around and stand there at the door of my study and greet me with a word, or just her presence. She is so mindful of me.

I can't say what motivates her more than earlier in life. It is true that we have been reading a devotional on “The Love Dare for Couples” which she reads to me which stimulates our thinking, before I pray. She often breathes an Amen with my praying, showings she is with it. Also we have been studying in a series on “Beliefs" which is now in the last stages, studying to be like Jesus, tonight being on gentleness. Perhaps our small group study is also rubbing off in our lives.

It also occurs to me at times that I could say something uncomplimentary to her, and then restrain myself, wondering if in earlier times I might have spoken out more unmindful as to how it may be heard. Not that I deserve anything for being a bit more careful in my speech, but perhaps I don't irritate or cultivate a neutrality of love in her for me. 

So is she becoming t more like her mother in loving kindly in ways I don't earn or deserve? It may just be. I sure don't want to spoil her development and growth in such wonderful matter! Maybe being kind and respectful and loving we can grow a beautiful thing even in our aging years.
                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment